Pete Lescrenier Agency
9415 W. Forest Home Ave, Suite 101
Hales Corners, WI 53130
Mandatory auto insurance for Wisconsin drivers takes effect Tuesday, June 1
Still time for uninsured drivers to acquire coverage and be compliant with the new law
Madison, Wis. (May 24, 2010) – On June 1, Wisconsin joins 48 other states in mandating auto insurance coverage. So what do the changes mean for Wisconsin drivers?
What drivers need to know about the law
Wisconsin drivers will be required to carry with them proof of insurance. So when you receive the cards and information about your policy from your insurance company, put at least one of the cards in your vehicle.
If a driver is stopped on suspicion of a traffic violation, the police officer can ask for proof of insurance. Drivers can receive a $10 ticket if they have insurance, but don’t have proof with them. Or you can be fined up to $500 if you don’t have insurance.
Underinsured motorist coverage is now required for state drivers on new or renewed policies. That portion of the law went into effect on Nov. 1.
Motorists now need to have a policy providing at least $50,000 in bodily injury coverage for one person, $100,000 in bodily injury coverage per accident and $15,000 to cover property damage. These limits went into effect Jan. 1.
Purchasing a policy
With the looming deadline, does it mean that currently uninsured drivers are out of luck to be compliant when the law changes? Hardly. Auto insurance can be secured relatively quickly. Drivers will need to provide the following information:
•Driver’s license information for all drivers in the household.
•Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for all autos in the household.
•Name and address of financial leasing company.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Trust: It’s in the Mail USPS
- Mandatory Auto Insurance for Wisconsin takes effect Tuesday June 1.
- USPS Consumer Protection Week Defenses Against Fraud
- Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University Spring Class
- Special Events And Exhibits Showcased at Holiday Folk Fair International
- UPWARD Basketball at Hales Corners Lutheran Church
- Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University Fall Class
- Farmers market will open Saturday, June 20
- Hales Corners Historical Society Plant Sale
- Now UGC Story Consumer News