The Stahl-Conrad Homestead , 9724 W. Forest Home Ave., Hales Clorners, will kick off its program year on Sunday, May 2.
Events will begin at 1:00 p.m. with placing a plaque on the Musclewood tree planted last year to memorialize Village President Jim Ryan. Jim served our community many years and was a strong supporter of the Homestead.
At 1:15 p.m., we will plant an apple tree in honor of Lloyd Conrad, who will celebrate his 86th birthday this June. Lloyd is a relative of the Conrads who owned and developed the property we are preserving and is a generous supporter of the Homestead.
We will proceed to the barn at 1:30 p.m. for a presentation, Treasurers from the Tropical Seas of Southeastern Wisconsin, by Herman Bender. Bender, a geologist and cultural landscape specialist, will describe the geologic origin of the Niagara Escarpment. The escarpment is a huge geographic feature that extends across much of North America, from southeastern Wisconsin north through Michigan's Upper Peninsula and Ontario, Canada, and past Niagara Falls in New York State.
The Wisconsin Legislature has proclaimed 2010 the Year of the Niagara Escarpment and May 2010 the Month of the Niagara Escarpment.
Bender's work has enabled him to develop an extensive collection of fossils and artifacts that reflect the geologic and cultural history of the Niagara Escarpment. He has agreed to lend a portion of his collection for display at the Homestead.
Our May 2 program will conclude with refreshments in the farmhouse and an opportunity to examine Bender's display.
For more information, call Bette at (414) 425-5572.
- Annual Free Genealogy Workshop to be held at the Milwaukee Family History Center
- Rummage Sale on Oct. 10 by Hales Corners Woman's Club
- Program about Les Paul Presented at 1 p.m. Friday, March 6
- Hales Corners Chamber to Hold First-Ever Awards Banquet
- Local Business and Boy Scout Partner to Fight Homelessness
- God and Life Class Offered through Hales Corners Lutheran Church
- Free Genealogy Workshop
- Julie Pandl To Present Program to Hales Corners Woman's Club Sept. 5
- Huge Iris Show - June 1 and 2nd
- 2013 Garden Revitalization Series with Melinda Myers at Boerner Botanical Gardens to Kick Off on May 15 with “Spring Renewal” Theme!