Sam Zehnder, a seventh grader of Hales Corners Lutheran Middle School, found himself in a quandary. The regional spelling bee, held at Greendale Middle School on February 3, provided Zehnder with the opportunity to show his spelling skills, competing against 32 other participants from 16 different area schools. Says Zehnder, “It was surprising how nervous I was, considering this was my third time at Regionals”. Sam took fourth place over all, having missed the word “quandary”.
Adam Hessenthaler, a 6th grader also from Hales Corners Lutheran Middle School, competed at the tournament as well, but was eliminated in the second round. “I was scared to be competing with so many older spellers. I was the only 6th grader there, but the audience was very supportive when kids were eliminated,” Hessenthaler states. He missed the word “deduce.” Overall both boys said it was a very positive experience and were pleased they had made it that far.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Breakfast with Santa, Cookie Walk & Craft Fair This Weekend!
- Inspired by a Home Improvement Show? Do Your Homework.
- Elements Massage™ Collecting Toys for the Annual Marine Toys for Tots Campaign
- Hiller Ford-Toys for Tots Drop Off Location
- Asset Allocation: A Step to Balancing Your Portfolio
- Missing Cat
- Hales Corners Lutheran Church presents annual Christmas Musical
- Franklin 8th Grader makes team USA U15
- Laura Ingalls Wilder Comes Alive
- Encore Acacia Performance of “Fish Eyes” Directed by Hales Corners Resident