Sam Zehnder, a seventh grader of Hales Corners Lutheran Middle School, found himself in a quandary. The regional spelling bee, held at Greendale Middle School on February 3, provided Zehnder with the opportunity to show his spelling skills, competing against 32 other participants from 16 different area schools. Says Zehnder, “It was surprising how nervous I was, considering this was my third time at Regionals”. Sam took fourth place over all, having missed the word “quandary”.
Adam Hessenthaler, a 6th grader also from Hales Corners Lutheran Middle School, competed at the tournament as well, but was eliminated in the second round. “I was scared to be competing with so many older spellers. I was the only 6th grader there, but the audience was very supportive when kids were eliminated,” Hessenthaler states. He missed the word “deduce.” Overall both boys said it was a very positive experience and were pleased they had made it that far.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Let's Prevent Another Chemical Incident
- UMDF Energy For Life Walk Held on September 26th at Greenfield Park
- Whitnall Graduate and Layton Terrace Employee Completes Eagle Scout Project
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host Declaration for Donations Blood Drive
- Great local cuisine and a Waterbugs Ski Show
- Aimee Berg's Brain Tumors
- GHS Rising Senior Elected Governor of Badger Boys State
- United Serbian Soccer Club Fall Registration Is Now Open
- Secret Gift Card with Services
- Free thing to do at Franklin's 4th of July Civic Celebration