Sam Zehnder, a seventh grader of Hales Corners Lutheran Middle School, found himself in a quandary. The regional spelling bee, held at Greendale Middle School on February 3, provided Zehnder with the opportunity to show his spelling skills, competing against 32 other participants from 16 different area schools. Says Zehnder, “It was surprising how nervous I was, considering this was my third time at Regionals”. Sam took fourth place over all, having missed the word “quandary”.
Adam Hessenthaler, a 6th grader also from Hales Corners Lutheran Middle School, competed at the tournament as well, but was eliminated in the second round. “I was scared to be competing with so many older spellers. I was the only 6th grader there, but the audience was very supportive when kids were eliminated,” Hessenthaler states. He missed the word “deduce.” Overall both boys said it was a very positive experience and were pleased they had made it that far.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- 3rd Annual Greenfield H.S. Cheerleaders Rummage Sale
- Callen Debuts Updated Website
- Help clients plan and prepare for a retirement that is both financially and emotionally successful
- 16U Franklin Flame Fastpitch Wounded Warrior Fundraiser
- Pre Three Class
- SCORE 50th Anniversary Luncheon October 9th
- Eagle Scout Project Dedication this Sunday, September 14, 2014
- Maya O'Day-Biddle will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of The Color Purple
- St. Martin of Tours Dollar Days Calendar Raffle
- Greenfield High School Cheerleaders 3rd Annual Rummage Sale