The Milwaukee Chapter of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI), the area’s leading home improvement and remodeling industry resource for more than 48 years, presented its annual “Building Milwaukee” Award to Sue Black, Director of the Milwaukee County Department of Parks, Recreation and Culture, at the association’s monthly membership meeting on Tues., Nov. 17.
The “Building Milwaukee” Award was created to recognize efforts made by individuals and groups who concentrate on community improvements and assist in the growth of the home remodeling industry.
“Sue Black has played an integral role in enhancing one of Milwaukee’s treasures – our wonderful parks system,” said Tom Weiher, CR, CKBR, president of Milwaukee/NARI. “Her vision for what the parks should be for residents and visitors has enabled Milwaukee County to be the envy of cities across the country. We are proud to recognize Sue’s efforts and her commitment to enhancing Milwaukee County, providing opportunities for citizens to recreate, relax, and learn.”
Ms. Black was recognized for overseeing more than 15,000 acres of the county gems known as “The Emerald Necklace” – bringing a quality of life to millions of visitors each year while preserving the legacy of the parks founders.
Under her leadership, the vast county park system has flourished, offering diverse, year-round activities. The park system, the setting for educational, cultural, and recreational programs, consists of 150 parks and parkways, nine outdoor pools, two indoor pools, three water parks, 200 athletic fields, 120 tennis courts, two band shells, the Wehr Nature Center, Mitchell Park Domes, Boerner Botanical Gardens, a 55,000-square-foot indoor Sports Complex, 15 golf courses, and 16 miles of lakefront property, which includes McKinley Marina, six beaches, two yacht clubs, and a sailing center.
The “Building Milwaukee” Award was previously presented to...
• 2008 – William (Willie) G. Davidson, Senior Vice President and Chief Styling Officer for the Styling Department at Harley-Davidson, Inc.
• 2007 – Scott Walker, Milwaukee County Executive
• 2006 – Steve Tennies, Habitat for Humanity
• 2005 – Dr. Darnell Cole, President, Milwaukee Area Technical College
• 2004 – Dave Luczak and Carole Caine, morning show hosts for WKLH-FM 96.5
• 2003 – Gary Grunau
• 2002 – Joseph Chudnow
• 2001 – Members of the Police and Fire Departments of the City of Milwaukee
• 2000 – Michael Cudahy
• 1999 – Richard Snow
• 1998 – Allan H. (Bud) Selig
• 1997 – Milwaukee Mayor John O. Norquist
The Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council was chartered in July 1961, as a Chapter of the National Home Improvement Council. In May of 1982, the National Home Improvement Council merged with the National Remodelers Association to form NARI – the National Association of the Remodeling Industry.
The Council’s goals of encouraging ethical conduct, professionalism, and sound business practices in the remodeling industry have led to the remodeling industry’s growth and made NARI a recognized authority in that industry. With over 900 members, the Milwaukee Chapter is the nation’s largest.
For more information or to receive a free copy of an annual membership roster listing all members alphabetically and by category, and the booklet, “Milwaukee/NARI’s Remodeling Guide,” call
(414) 771-4071 or visit the Council’s Web site at www.milwaukeenari.org.
Editor’s Note: The following is the caption for the attached photo: Craig Busche, Milwaukee/NARI Government Affairs Committee Vice-Chair, presents Sue Black, Director of the Milwaukee County Department of Parks, Recreation and Culture, with the 2009 Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council, Inc. “Building Milwaukee” Award.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Catholic Singles Memorial Day Picnic
- Catholic Singles Dance
- Benefit Concert for Lions Charities at The Suburban Bourbon May 18
- HGTV to Feature Flat Rate Home Services Manager on National Television Show
- Scholarships Awarded by Hales Corners Woman's Club
- Say Cheers to More Healthy Years at Wilson Commons
- Kids From Wisconsin Premier
- Muskego Open Swim, Pool Rentals, & Swim Lessons!
- St. Gregory the Great Hosts Student Art Fair
- K3, K4 and K5 Open House