The Hales Corners Woman’s Club has awarded $5,000 to nine community service organizations and $2,000 in scholarships to graduating high school seniors. The grants were made possible because of various fundraising activities the club has held throughout the year.
Receiving the scholarships were Kayla Voelkel and Rachel Kornhoff, both graduating this month from Whitnall High School.
Presentations to the following Hales Corners groups were: Hales Corners Library, for the summer reading program - $750; Stahl-Conrad Homestead, for upgrades to Homestead, particularly for handicapped children - $600; Friends of the Hales Corners Pool - $250; Hales Corners Police Department, for the D.A.R.E. program - $300; Hales Corners Fire Department, for purchase of GPS systems to help in response to mutual aid calls - $400.
Other awards to area communities include: Trimborn Farm Park - $300; Southwest Interfaith - $650; Sojourner Truth House - $750; Women’s Center of Waukesha - $1,000.
Each year a Project Study Committee reviews applications for financial awards and makes its recommendations, based on the amount of funds available. This past year’s fundraisers included the annual poinsettia sale; rummage sale; participation in the Brat House at Sentry store; and two bake sales, held in conjunction with the Whitnall Rotary Club’s craft fairs.
Membership is open to all women living in Hales Corners and surrounding communities. To apply for membership for the 2009-1010 year, or for more information, contact Arlene Kaiser, 414-425-2345, or Aldona Fischer, 414-421-1060.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Refashion for Life Charity Fashion Show Announces Sponsors
- Second Saturday Aug 9 10am Oak Creek Community Center
- Register NOW for K3, K4 - 8th Grade
- Jr Hawks U14 Tryouts for 2015
- 6 Tool Select Baseball ryouts
- Brain Injury Resource Center of Wisconsin, Inc.’s new informational commercial
- Faith Community Church Offers Evening VBS for Kids, July 21 - 25
- Canine Fun Fest
- Schuster's & Gimbels-Presentation by Paul Geenen
- New Berlin Magic 2015 Baseball Tryouts July 25-26