Members of the Hales Corners Historical Society are hard at work organizing the annual plant sale. This event has been going on for 28 years now, with many of the original organizers and workers still on board. Priscilla Riebs, who started the sale in 1981, is working with Audrey Reineck and Maryann Lindberg, who will be take over next year.
The plants are coming from the same two nurseries that have provided them for the last few years. Shady Lane Nurseries in Menomonee Falls provides the bedding plants, patio pots, and impatiens pouches. Edgewood Greenhouses in Mukwonago is responsible for the geraniums and hanging baskets.
Every year brings new or improved varieties. Petunias now are less leggy and more rain tolerant, and pinching them back is no longer an issue. Yellow was the new color a few years ago, and now it has been joined by lavender. Waterfall Mix blends pink, rose, dark purple, and white, while Nautical Mix features all shades of blue, plus lavender and white. Of course there are the old stand-bys as well. Prices are holding steady, and customers need not take any plants that don’t suit them. They may substitute, exchange, or get a refund.
Order forms will be available at the Hales Corners Library on April 1, or at the Historical Society meeting on April 8th. Those who have ordered previously will have a form mailed or hand-delivered to them. Orders are due May 1, and may be returned to the library, or to committee members or sellers. The plant pickup site is the James R. Ryan Building, which is the Hales Corners Village Hall, between Wednesday, May 20, and Saturday, May 23. The order form has full details, and also offers planting tips.
This is the Hales Corners Historical Society’s major fundraiser, and it helps to fund the Summer Kitchen, the Ben Hunt Cabin, the archives, the photography project, walking tours, and other needs.
- KIDS From Wisconsin to Rock New Berlin West Aug. 19
- Artists in the Garden at Boerner Botanical Gardens
- Art and Nature Provide the Backdrop for Artists in the Garden At the Boerner Botanical Gardens, August 20 and 21, 2016
- 9th Annual Refashion For Life Charity Fashion Show Announced
- “Cave Quest” Vacation Bible School at Faith Community Church, July 18 - 22
- Hales Corners Resident Directs Acacia Theatre’s “I Do! I Do!” Musical Hit Follows Milestones of a Marriage
- 5K Run/Walk to Benefit Kenya Kids
- Free Bluegrass Concert July 10th
- NOW OPEN FOR LUNCH AND DINNER 7 days a week!
- Mas Soul--ENCORE!