Did you start the new year with a mountain of debt? Don’t feel bad; millions of people are in the same boat. But no matter how much you owe, you can make changes today to get out of debt and build a stronger financial future.
Better Business Bureau and ClearPoint Credit Counseling Solutions are encouraging consumers to be “calculated budgeters” in their efforts to get out of debt. Here are five tips to help you be more calculated in budgeting and debt reduction in the new year:
1) Set up a household budget to guide your spending patterns. Adjust expenses to find extra money to pay down credit card and other revolving debt – even $50 a month will help.
2) Choose a method. Debt management experts advise either paying off higher-interest balances first (this is the ladder method of debt repayment) or paying off smaller balances first (called the snowball method, because you build momentum). Either way, you’ll be moving in the right direction.
3) Ask for lower rates. Most credit card companies will lower interest rates when asked, especially if you mention a “hardship plan.” Lower rates mean your payments go more toward principal instead of interest.
4) Send extra payments. Make at least the minimum payment each month on every account, but send that extra amount to the chosen payoff account. As soon as that debt is paid off, put its payment and the extra toward the next account on your target list.
5) Stick to the plan. It can be tempting to use your credit cards again once the balances are lowered, but that will only make it harder to get out of debt, and the process may take much longer. Resist the temptation and keep your eyes on your long-term goal.
To get started with budgeting and debt reduction, check out this Budget Calculator from Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions.
For more tips you can trust, visit bbb.org. For an online version of the story click here.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA Local professional group secures prominent Latina celebrity for upcoming fundraiser
- BloodCenter to Host Milwaukee Bucks Blood Drive
- Firefighters Climb at #1 Fight for Air Climb in the Nation
- REALTORS’ Home & Garden Show Ushers in Spring
- Heritage Presbyterian Church 5th Annual Easter Egg Hunt
- Tattoos To The Rescue-Fundraiser Benefiting Milwaukee Pets Alive!
- Expert Plumbers Advise Homeowners to Monitor Sump Pump during Weather Warm Up
- 10th Annual Milwaukee/NARI Foundation Fundraising Rummage Sale Scheduled for May 1
- Greater Milwaukee College Workshop
- New York Time’s Bestselling Author to Visit the Franklin Public Library