On Tuesday, July 2 at 5 p.m., Respect Our Waters will be at New Berlin’s 4th of July Family Festival at Malone Park, 16400 W. Al Stigler Parkway, to give away pet waste bags, host a drawing for a rain barrel and educate residents on individual actions they can take to help improve area rivers and Lake Michigan. The group will also answer questions, provide information and give away Sparkles the Water Spaniel buttons.
“Everyone plays an important role in keeping our rivers and lakes clean and healthy. There are some simple and easy actions that help our waterways,” says Susan Greenfield, co-chair of Respect Our Waters and executive director of Root-Pike WIN.
According to Greenfield, residents should:
• Pick up pet waste.
• Leave grass clippings on the lawn.
• Use lawn fertilizer and chemicals sparingly. In fact, she recommends testing the soil to make sure the yard really needs the extra nutrients before applying fertilizer.
• Inspect vehicles to make sure they’re not leaking oil or other fluids.
• Plant a rain garden and trees.
• Direct downspouts into rain barrels, the yard or garden instead of the sewer or driveway.
• Use a carwash or wash cars on the lawn.
“What many residents don’t realize is that anything that washes into storm sewers goes directly into our rivers and Lake Michigan,” explains Greenfield. “That means, whenever it rains, dog poop, lawn fertilizer, car fluids and any other debris on sidewalks, streets and parking lots gets deposited into our waterways.”
For more information, visit RespectOurWaters.org, RootPikeWIN.org or SwwtWater.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Jr Hawks U14 Tryouts for 2015
- 6 Tool Select Baseball ryouts
- Brain Injury Resource Center of Wisconsin, Inc.’s new informational commercial
- Faith Community Church Offers Evening VBS for Kids, July 21 - 25
- Canine Fun Fest
- Schuster's & Gimbels-Presentation by Paul Geenen
- New Berlin Magic 2015 Baseball Tryouts July 25-26
- Village Playhouse Has Drama Classes for Children
- Watch Catching Fire at the St. Francis Library
- Family Movie Night Has Been Changed