Waukesha, Wis. – Nancy Major, Executive Director of Safe Babies Healthy Families and a Hales Corners resident, was recently awarded a Waukesha “Key to the City” for her leadership and commitment to helping the most vulnerable in the community.
Mayor Jeff Scrima presented the award to Major at a December Common Council meeting. She was among a dozen business, government and civic leaders honored for their work to improve citizens’ opportunities and quality of life in Waukesha.
Major has led Safe Babies Healthy Families – previously known as Pregnancy Support Connection – since 2008. Safe Babies Healthy Families provides comprehensive intervention, support and education services to at-risk parents who lack the financial, health and social supports to build safe and stable environments for themselves and their children.
“Nancy Major and Safe Babies Healthy Families welcome the little children, recognize that the future of our community belongs to such as these, and provide hands-on support to parents. They have become a ‘voice’ for the innocent and are committed to breaking the cycle of child abuse, neglect and poverty,” Scrima said.
Under Major’s leadership, Safe Babies Healthy Families has expanded its services and staff to reach an even larger number of young parents and their children. She oversaw a successful merger of two organizations, Pregnancy Support Connection and Healthy Families of Waukesha, to form SBHF in early 2012.
“I’m honored and humbled by this Key to the City, and thank all who have worked so hard to make Safe Babies Healthy Families a positive, uplifting influence in the lives of Waukesha’s most vulnerable citizens,” Major said.
Safe Babies Healthy Families will hold its Sweetheart Fashion Show Feb. 15 at 11 a.m. at the Milwaukee Marriott West in Waukesha. Individual tickets for $45 are available at www.safebabieshealthyfamilies.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- You're Invited!
- Callen Construction Announces 6th Annual “Refashion for Life” Proceeds
- Don’t Get A Holiday Dish Served Cold – Hire The Right Catering Service
- Annual Cookie Walk at Faith Community Church - Franklin
- Western Union and Better Business Bureau Warn of Charity Scams During Giving Season
- MECA's Angels for Animals
- Local Girl Scout troop collecting Cans for Kids this Saturday, Dec. 7
- Giving Tuesday: BBB Advises Checking Charities Out Before Making Year-End Gifts
- IKE CHEERLEADER'S HOLIDAY YOUTH CHEER CLINIC
- BBB Offers Advice to Black Friday and Cyber Monday Shoppers