Milwaukee, WI , April 18, 2011 — With a creative spirit and paint brush in hand, fourth grader Kara Klages of Hales Corners, recently spent an afternoon with other Girl Scouts from southeastern Wisconsin to create and paint designs on rain barrels that will be raffled off by the Friends of Boerner Botanical Gardens (FBBG). The proceeds from the raffle which will be held on May 15 are going towards the Garden’s Children’s Plant Science programs. Sixteen girls from the Girl Scout s of Wisconsin Southeast (GSWISE) council designed and painted the barrels as a community action project for the national Girl Scouts Forever Green initiative .
“The national Girl Scouts Forever Green initiative is a community action project that engages, educates, and empowers girls to take the lead in developing and implementing sustainable initiatives to decrease the environmental footprints of their schools and communities,” said Andrea Yanachek, Outdoor Program Manager for GSWISE.
The rain barrels will be on display at the Boerner Botanical Gardens gift shop through May 15 . Boerner Botanical Gardens is located at 9400 Boerner Dr., Hales Corners. Raffle tickets are $5 each or 5 tickets for $20. Call 414-525-5666 for more information.
Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast serves over 28,500 girls in grades K through 12 in Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Walworth, Washington, and Waukesha County. Girl Scouts is the pre-eminent development organization and leading authority on girls’ healthy development.
# # #
For additional information about the Girl Scouts organization, contact Kristie Arciszewski, Communications/ Public Relations Manager, at 800-565-GIRL (4475) or email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Annual Free Genealogy Workshop to be held at the Milwaukee Family History Center
- Rummage Sale on Oct. 10 by Hales Corners Woman's Club
- All You Can Eat Breakfast Sunday, October 11th
- Community Events at Faith Community Church - Franklin
- United Performing Arts Fund Announces 2016 Campaign Co-Chairs
- Callen Receives 2015 Pulse of the City Star Award
- Sept. 19 booster and car seat safety check in Waukesha
- Heritage Haunted House
- Prepare Plumbing for Cool Weather
- Protect your vision, know the 3 leading causes of blindness