Danny Weymier was not about to let his senior season of Whitnall boys basketball end early.
Weymier hit the go-ahead layup with 13 seconds left, had a steal on the ensuing Bay View possession and hit the front-end of a 1-and-1 as Whitnall earned a 75-73 triumph over Milwaukee Bay View in a WIAA Division 2 regional semifinal Friday night.
"At the four-minute mark (Whitnall) coach (Steve Kujawa) brought us in and said, 'Do you want your season to be over now or are you going to do something about it?'" said Weymier, who finished with a game-high 32 points, his third-straight game breaking the 30-point threshold. "I didn't see much (on the last drive). The last few times in I was actually expecting a call."
Kujawa drew up the possession for Weymier, who helped bring the Falcons back from double-digit deficits in the second and fourth quarters.
"With 13 or 14 seconds left, let's try to get a shot, because if we miss, we at least get an opportunity to get a rebound or foul and extend the game," Kujawa said of the possession that gave the Falcons the lead for good. "(Danny) took it in there with his explosiveness and athleticism and made the shot."
After the basket, Weymier got a steal and was fouled near halfcourt. That sent him to the line with 5.3 seconds left, where he hit the first of two free throws to make it a two-point game.
With three seconds left, the Redcats (14-9) had one final chance to tie or take the lead, and they put the ball in the hands of North Dakota State recruit Carlin Dupree, who had a team-high 27 points.
But his shot was off the mark as was a final tip-in attempt.
The perseverance of Whitnall in the final minute of the game summarized what it had fought through most of the night. Bay View jumped out to a 12-point lead in the first half, but Weymier rallied the Falcons back, and Nathan Schaefer's basket gave the Falcons a 30-29 lead at halftime.
With 3:40 left in the game, the Redcats led 69-59 before Weymier led the charge back.
"It's been battles like that all season long with those ups and downs," Kujawa said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall's Bickerstaff, Alexopoulos take first places at West Allis Hale Invitational
- Germantown girls track team does the math, claims NSC Relays
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Greenfield football team tips Whitnall in battle of gritty teams
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 7
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 19
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 5