Whitnall boys basketball coach Kent Kroupa, whose coaching career began at the school in 1984, has decided to retire from his position.
The Falcons reached the sectional semifinal in last year's Division 2 tournament, falling to eventual state qualifier Milwaukee Pius. He coached at Whitnall over two stretches, leading teams to state in 1986, 1988 and 2004, winning the state championship in 1988.
Kroupa, who worked with learning-disabled students at Whitnall for 32 years, coached at the school from 1984 to 1994, then left to coach at Muskego from 1995 to 2002. After taking a year off, he returned to Whitnall and immediately led the 2003-04 team to the state tournament in Madison. In his 27 years of coaching, Kroupa piled up a record of 335-279.
Kroupa said the retirement gives him a chance to spend more time with his family. He and wife Linda intend to move to the Phoenix, Ariz. area to be closer to son Craig, who teaches in the area.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Schmidt pitches, hits Brookfield Central to win over Wauwatosa East
- Whitnall's Bickerstaff, Alexopoulos take first places at West Allis Hale Invitational
- Germantown girls track team does the math, claims NSC Relays
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Greenfield football team tips Whitnall in battle of gritty teams
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 7
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 19
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12