Whitnall play takes a ride in the WABAC machine
'Shout' features music, commercials from '50s, '60s
Greenfield — Mini-skirts of the 1960s and the coiffures of the 1950s will be back in an all singing and dancing revue called "Shout! The Mod Musical" to open at Whitnall High School, 5000 S. 116th St., Greenfield, on Friday.
Most of the parents of the cast of 26 weren't even born in the '50s or '60s and their children are doing numbers that bring back TV commercials of the era, advice columnists and favorite songs like Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots are Made for Walkin'" and Petula Clark's "Downtown."
Director Tom Weissgerber had to laugh at the generation gap that opened up before him with tuned-in 21st-century students trying to relate to 60 years ago.
One number has them walking along the street and they all held their hands to their ears as they walked.
Then he had to clue them in to life back then: "There were no cellphones. They dropped their jaws," Weissgerber said. "It was very funny."
At first there was a little dismay at going back to life as the mod generations lived it, he said.
He heard a lot of, "Oh, I have to wear that?"
But it didn't take long, and the kids grew to love the show and the music, he said.
One of them was featured soloist Kayla Atadero who said, "There's some kind of positive energy. A happy tempo and vibes to the songs."
To replicate the hairstyles of the day, the show is using a wig designer from the Milwaukee Ballet Company.
"Shout!" will be presented at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday and at 2 p.m. Sunday. Admission is a $10 suggested donation. More information is available at the box office, (414) 525-8534.
— Jane Ford-Stewart
AT A GLANCE
WHAT: "Shout! The Mod Musical"
WHEN: 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday; 2 p.m. Sunday
WHERE: Whitnall High School, 5000 S. 116th St.
COST: $10 suggested donation
- Sola Salons holding grand opening May 9 in Hales Corners
- Hales Corners police report: May 5, 2016 issue
- Hales Corners police report: April 28, 2016 issue
- Rooftop patio added to proposed expansion of the Bosch
- Pen and ink drawings going on display in May at Boerner Botanical Gardens
- Festival Foods reveals detailed plans for former Kmart site on Highway 100 in Hales Corners (4)
- Greenfield News and Notes: April 21
- Hales Corners police report: April 21, 2016 issue
- Hales Corners Chamber of Commerce holding annual banquet April 28
- Bosch gets ready to make its move (4)