The Oak Creek Plan Commission last night recommended that the Common Council purchase 30 acres of lakefront land from Wispark LLC.
The council is expected to take up the acquisition April 2.
The panel unanimously agreed to recommend that the property, 9006 S. 5th Ave., be purchased from We Energies' real estate development arm for use as a public park. A purchase price was not disclosed.
That is in keeping with the city's lakefront development plan, which the commission adopted in January and which commits land for public use. Land to the west of the parcel is owned by Wispark and would ideally be home to a corporate owner, said Doug Seymour, director of community development.
"This is a strategic acquisition more than anything else," said Alderman Daniel Bukiewicz, a commission member. "This really plays into the master plan down there."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Friends group plans for sand volleyball court at Hales Corners park
- Hales Corners police report: May 21, 2015 issue
- Free concerts offered all summer at Boerner in Hales Corners
- Noah Weckwirth: Milwaukee Road making a stop at Elm Grove library
- Two Village of Hales Corners police officers promoted
- Hales Corners police report: May 14, 2015 issue
- Winter's not through with us yet
- Hales Corners looks at developing former Kmart site
- CMH featured in list of Top Health Systems
- Hales Corners police report: May 7, 2015 issue