The Oak Creek Common Council on Tuesday approved a change in plans that called for a 900,000-square-foot processing and distribution site for the U.S. Postal Service - at the same time acknowledging the facility may never materialize.
The site, 2201 E. College Ave., is adjacent to the Chapel Hills subdivision, and residents there objected to the revised conceptual plans that would decrease the size of the post office building dramatically, to about 200,000 square feet, but add retail and two- and multi-family housing.
Specifically, residents said the proposed rental properties would increase traffic in the area.
With that in mind, aldermen agreed to add a 50-foot buffer between the rental units and the subdivision, and they gave assurances that a USPS building would likely never be built, given recent reports of the program closing offices and reducing its workforce. They said the plans needed to be modified so that the developer working with the USPS could market the property.
"Part of this driven by the nature of this economy," said City Attorney Lawrence Haskins. "Things are quite stagnant and they need to market the plan."
Aldermen also said that the Plan Commission would have to approve any site work and buildings, as well as make decisions about the height and density of the apartments, before moving forward with the plan.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hales Corners Police Report: Sept. 4, 2014 issue
- Video: Greenfield, Greendale and Hales Corners police storm high schools in active shooter training
- Hales Corners Police Report: Aug. 28, 2014 issue
- Hales Corners Elementary school is 'bursting at the seams'
- Video: Whitnall launches districtwide iPad initiative
- YoFresh Yogurt Cafe to open in Hales Corners
- VIDEO: Whitnall distributes nearly 1,400 iPads across district
- Hales Corners Police Report: Aug. 21, 2014 issue
- Dennis Dietscher of Hales Corners charged with accepting bribes
- Hales Corners Police Report: Aug. 14, 2014 issue