Hales Corners —Hales Corners has been named a Tree City USA by the Arbor Day Foundation to honor its commitment to effective urban forest management.
The village has received this national recognition annually since 2001.
The community also received a Tree City USA Growth Award for demonstrating environmental improvement and a higher level of tree care.
Hales Comers achieved Tree City USA recognition by meeting the program's four requirements: a tree board or department, a tree-care ordinance, an annual community forestry budget of at least $2 per capita and an Arbor Day observance and proclamation.
The Tree City USA program is sponsored by the Arbor Day Foundation, in partnership with the U.S. Forest Service and the National Association of State Foresters.
"Everyone benefits when elected officials, volunteers and committed citizens in communities like Hales Corners make smart investments in urban forests," said John Rosenow, founder and chief executive of the Arbor Day Foundation. "Trees bring shade to our homes and beauty to our neighborhoods, along with numerous economic, social and environmental benefits."
Cleaner air, improved storm water management, energy savings and increased property values and commercial activity are among the benefits enjoyed by Tree City USA communities.
"Trees are a vital component of the infrastructure in our cities and towns and provide environmental and economical benefits," Rosenow added. "A community and its citizens that recognize these benefits and provide needed care for its trees deserve recognition and thanks."
Join the village in an Arbor Day celebration Saturday, April 26, at Cobb Park, located at the southeast corner of S. 116th Street and W. Janesville Road.
There is convenient parking at the W. Ben Hunt Center, 5885 S. 116th. Festivities will begin at 10 a.m. and include a proclamation by Village President Robert G. Ruesch, ceremonial tree planting and seedling giveaway.
Anyone with questions on the Tree City USA or the Arbor Day celebration may contact Michael Martin, director of public works at the Hales Corners Village Hall, at (414) 529-6161, ext. 235.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hales Corners Police Report: Oct. 30, 2014
- Man arrested for facilitating a sex crime with 13-year-old girl in Hales Corners
- New path enhances a walk through Boerner's gardens in Hales Corners
- Hales Corners police report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Village Board requests Hales Corners Wading Pool remains open in 2015
- Ritzman Appliance has found its highway to 'heaven' in Hales Corners
- Hales Corners Police Report: Oct. 16, 2014 issue
- Man charged for facilitating a sex crime with 13-year-old girl in Hales Corners
- Hales Corners wades deeper into county's politics on pool budget (1)
- Hales Corners Police Report: Oct. 9, 2014 issue