A quick start boosted Whitnall to a 42-28 victory over Greenfield in a Woodland Conference border battle on Sept. 19 at Greenfield.
The Falcons hit the Hustlin’ Hawks with three touchdowns on just four plays in the opening quarter on passes from quarterback Bennett Kaye to Nick Kollauf.
“They (the Hawks) were giving him (Kollauf) single coverage,” Whitnall coach Rob Leboeuf said. “He got loose and made some good plays. Our quarterback made some good reads.”
Greenfield countered with a 2-yard TD run by quarterback Jake Hansen, but the Falcons were up, 21-7, after the period.
“We came out not mentally ready to play,” Greenfield coach Kevin Murphy said. “We gave up early points on mental breakdowns.”
Hansen and Whitnall back Nick Vlahos both tallied from 2 yards out in the second period as the Falcons held a 28-14 advantage.
Kaye, though, sprinted 79 yards for a score in the third to boost the lead to 35-14. “We had another breakdown in containment,” Murphy said. “We gave up those big plays and it never should happen.”
Ray Grafwallner (190 yards on 24 carries) came back with a 75-yard touchdown run in the fourth to draw Greenfield within 35-21. “It was a simple lead in the middle behind a good block by (fullback) Bryan Donovan,” Murphy said.
Kaye ran in from 11 yards, and Greenfield’s Jason Katrichis tallied from 6 to close out the scoring.
Kaye hit 16 of 18 passes for 255 yards and ran eight times for 123 yards. “He had a heck of a game, and our offensive line did a great job,” Leboeuf said.
Murphy said of Kaye, “He is a good athlete and a scholar of the game. He has matured into the position.”
Kollauf had seven catches for 209 yards and Vlahos added 103 yards rushing. For Greenfield, Hansen ran for 97 yards and Katrichis added 65.
Whitnall (3-1) will next visit Delavan-Darien at 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 26. Greenfield (1-3) will travel to St. Francis to meet St. Thomas More (1-3) at 1 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 27.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Man arrested for facilitating a sex crime with 13-year-old girl in Hales Corners
- New path enhances a walk through Boerner's gardens in Hales Corners
- Ritzman Appliance has found its highway to 'heaven' in Hales Corners
- Hales Corners wades deeper into county's politics on pool budget (1)
- Hales Corners Park pavilion and ice rink gains ground with county approval
- Video: 'Bug Whisperer' inspires curiosity, respect for otherwise 'misunderstood' insects
- Video: Greenfield, Greendale and Hales Corners police storm high schools in active shooter training
- Hales Corners Elementary school is 'bursting at the seams'
- Video: Whitnall launches districtwide iPad initiative
- Video: Whitnall preparing to distribute nearly 1,400 iPads across district