A quick start boosted Whitnall to a 42-28 victory over Greenfield in a Woodland Conference border battle on Sept. 19 at Greenfield.
The Falcons hit the Hustlin’ Hawks with three touchdowns on just four plays in the opening quarter on passes from quarterback Bennett Kaye to Nick Kollauf.
“They (the Hawks) were giving him (Kollauf) single coverage,” Whitnall coach Rob Leboeuf said. “He got loose and made some good plays. Our quarterback made some good reads.”
Greenfield countered with a 2-yard TD run by quarterback Jake Hansen, but the Falcons were up, 21-7, after the period.
“We came out not mentally ready to play,” Greenfield coach Kevin Murphy said. “We gave up early points on mental breakdowns.”
Hansen and Whitnall back Nick Vlahos both tallied from 2 yards out in the second period as the Falcons held a 28-14 advantage.
Kaye, though, sprinted 79 yards for a score in the third to boost the lead to 35-14. “We had another breakdown in containment,” Murphy said. “We gave up those big plays and it never should happen.”
Ray Grafwallner (190 yards on 24 carries) came back with a 75-yard touchdown run in the fourth to draw Greenfield within 35-21. “It was a simple lead in the middle behind a good block by (fullback) Bryan Donovan,” Murphy said.
Kaye ran in from 11 yards, and Greenfield’s Jason Katrichis tallied from 6 to close out the scoring.
Kaye hit 16 of 18 passes for 255 yards and ran eight times for 123 yards. “He had a heck of a game, and our offensive line did a great job,” Leboeuf said.
Murphy said of Kaye, “He is a good athlete and a scholar of the game. He has matured into the position.”
Kollauf had seven catches for 209 yards and Vlahos added 103 yards rushing. For Greenfield, Hansen ran for 97 yards and Katrichis added 65.
Whitnall (3-1) will next visit Delavan-Darien at 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 26. Greenfield (1-3) will travel to St. Francis to meet St. Thomas More (1-3) at 1 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 27.
- Things to Do: May 5, 2016 issue
- Sola Salons holding grand opening May 9 in Hales Corners
- Hales Corners police report: May 5, 2016 issue
- Whitnall gets new school district superintendent
- Festival Foods reveals detailed plans for former Kmart site on Highway 100 in Hales Corners (4)
- Rooftop patio added to proposed expansion of the Bosch
- Hales Corners police report: April 28, 2016 issue
- News & Notes: April 28, 2016 issue
- Things to Do: Art at Boerner, brain series and more
- Whitnall names Lisa Olson superintendent of schools