Six people, including three firefighters, were taken to the hospital Thursday after a pool pump malfunctioned at Gold's Gym in Hales Corners.
The Hales Corners Fire Department received a call shortly before 9 a.m. Thursday about a possible chemical spill or leak at the gym, 5321 S. 108th St. Investigation showed a pool pump had malfunctioned and stopped operating. Once it started to back up, it sent out more than its normal dose of chlorine and acid, and people who breathed the cocktail suffered respiratory symptoms, Fire Chief Mike Jankowski said.
"When you mix these together, you get an irritant in the air," he said. "They had difficulty breathing, sore throat, respiratory distress."
The gym was evacuated, and firefighters ventilated the room and monitored air quality.
All firefighters had been released from the hospital by Thursday afternoon. The other patients were to be released later Thursday, Jankowski said.
The pool has been closed until the pump can be serviced and inspectors from the fire department can check to make sure everything is operating properly, he said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Man arrested for facilitating a sex crime with 13-year-old girl in Hales Corners
- New path enhances a walk through Boerner's gardens in Hales Corners
- Ritzman Appliance has found its highway to 'heaven' in Hales Corners
- Hales Corners wades deeper into county's politics on pool budget (1)
- Hales Corners Park pavilion and ice rink gains ground with county approval
- Video: 'Bug Whisperer' inspires curiosity, respect for otherwise 'misunderstood' insects
- Video: Greenfield, Greendale and Hales Corners police storm high schools in active shooter training
- Hales Corners Elementary school is 'bursting at the seams'
- Video: Whitnall launches districtwide iPad initiative
- Video: Whitnall preparing to distribute nearly 1,400 iPads across district