The Common Council and the Oak Creek-Franklin School Board will hold a joint meeting to discuss a site for a new city hall and library at 7 p.m. Dec. 19 at the Community Center, 8580 S. Howell Ave.
At the insistence of Mayor Dick Bolender, the meeting will be televised.
The date was set after a lengthy discussion on whether the council should meet with all the interested parties separately, as Alderman Stephen Scaffidi recommended, or as one large group, favored by Bolender, who remarked: "Divide and conquer - that's what that's about."
The mayor also said meeting individually with groups would slow the decision process down. "You're going to drag it out for another six, eight meetings."
In the end, the council voted in favor of a larger meeting, and city staff assured the aldermen that results of a resident survey seeking input on the location of a new civic center would be available before that meeting for their review.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Nearly 800 scurry to Wehr Nature Center's Bug Day in Hales Corners
- Hales Corners Police Report: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Scurry over to Wehr Nature Center on Sunday for bug day
- Hales Corners Police Report: Sept. 11, 2014 issue
- Hales Corners Police Report: Sept. 4, 2014 issue
- Video: Greenfield, Greendale and Hales Corners police storm high schools in active shooter training
- Hales Corners Police Report: Aug. 28, 2014 issue
- Hales Corners Elementary school is 'bursting at the seams'
- Video: Whitnall launches districtwide iPad initiative
- YoFresh Yogurt Cafe to open in Hales Corners