The Common Council and the Oak Creek-Franklin School Board will hold a joint meeting to discuss a site for a new city hall and library at 7 p.m. Dec. 19 at the Community Center, 8580 S. Howell Ave.
At the insistence of Mayor Dick Bolender, the meeting will be televised.
The date was set after a lengthy discussion on whether the council should meet with all the interested parties separately, as Alderman Stephen Scaffidi recommended, or as one large group, favored by Bolender, who remarked: "Divide and conquer - that's what that's about."
The mayor also said meeting individually with groups would slow the decision process down. "You're going to drag it out for another six, eight meetings."
In the end, the council voted in favor of a larger meeting, and city staff assured the aldermen that results of a resident survey seeking input on the location of a new civic center would be available before that meeting for their review.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Friends group plans for sand volleyball court at Hales Corners park
- Hales Corners police report: May 21, 2015 issue
- Free concerts offered all summer at Boerner in Hales Corners
- Noah Weckwirth: Milwaukee Road making a stop at Elm Grove library
- Two Village of Hales Corners police officers promoted
- Hales Corners police report: May 14, 2015 issue
- Winter's not through with us yet
- Hales Corners looks at developing former Kmart site
- CMH featured in list of Top Health Systems
- Hales Corners police report: May 7, 2015 issue