Hales Corners — Welcome to Hales Corners, hometown of Olympic medalist Alyson Dudek.
A sign to that effect could be placed on the village entrance sign, though that's just one possibility. At the very least, Hales Corners is trying to find some meaningful way to honor Dudek, who did the village proud in Vancouver by capturing a bronze medal as a member of the women's 3,000-meter relay team.
Dudek, who now lives in Salt Lake City so she can train with the national team, is believed to be the first Hales Corners native to ever compete in the Olympics.
The idea of attaching a permanent Dudek sign to the village's existing welcome sign was floated during the Village Board meeting March 1, but so were other suggestions.
Some of the ideas have already taken root.
July 2 will be Alyson Dudek Day at the Hales Corners Pool, which will hold a fundraiser and a party in her honor, said Village Trustee Donald Schwartz, who also leads the Friends of Hales Corners Pool group.
Later that weekend, she is expected to be the grand marshal in the Hales Corners' July 4 parade.
In the next few weeks, the Hales Corners Chamber of Commerce plans to distribute signs to local merchants to display in store windows, said Village President Robert Ruesch, who serves as the village liaison to the chamber.
Village officials see Dudek's accomplishments as a chance to recognize her and raise money to offset her expenses, and also as a chance to bring positive publicity to Hales Corners.
Dudek could not be reached for comment.
- Hales Corners Library ends summer reading program with comedy, prizes
- Hales Corners Night Out to "promote and preserve prosperous community"
- Hales Corners police report: July 28, 2016 issue
- Amber Frymark wins Hottest Kitchen Entreprenuer Challenge
- Sue Haislmaier's watercolor paintings on display at botanical gardens
- Traveling Beer Gardens coming to Hales Corners Park
- Youth soccer program at Hales Corners Library July 28
- Children's musician Duke Otherwise to perform at Hales Corners Library
- Emmanuel Church will hold car show at Augustfest event
- Hales Corners police report: July 21, 2016 issue