Welcome to Hales Corners, hometown of Olympic medalist Alyson Dudek.
A sign to that effect could be erected at entry points into the village, though that's just one possibility. At the very least, Hales Corners is trying to find some meaningful way to honor Dudek, who did the village proud in Vancouver by capturing a bronze medal as a member of the women's 3,000-meter relay team.
Dudek, who now lives in Salt Lake City so she can train with the national team, is believed to be the first Hales Corners native to ever compete in the Olympics.
The idea of attaching a permanent Dudek sign to the village's existing welcome sign was floated during the Village Board meeting Monday, but so were other suggestions, Trustee Donald Schwartz said.
Some of the ideas have already taken root.
July 2 will be Alyson Dudek Day at the Hales Corners Pool, which will hold a fundraiser and a party in her honor, said Schwartz, who also leads the Friends of Hales Corners Pool.
Later that weekend, she is expected to be the grand marshal in the Hales Corners' July 4 parade.
In the next few weeks, the Hales Corners Chamber of Commerce plans to distribute signs to local merchants to display in store windows, said Village President Robert Ruesch, who serves as the village liaison to the chamber.
Village officials see Dudek's accomplishments as a chance to recognize her and raise money to offset her expenses, and also as a chance to bring positive publicity to Hales Corners.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Friends group plans for sand volleyball court at Hales Corners park
- Hales Corners police report: May 21, 2015 issue
- Free concerts offered all summer at Boerner in Hales Corners
- Noah Weckwirth: Milwaukee Road making a stop at Elm Grove library
- Two Village of Hales Corners police officers promoted
- Hales Corners police report: May 14, 2015 issue
- Winter's not through with us yet
- Hales Corners looks at developing former Kmart site
- CMH featured in list of Top Health Systems
- Hales Corners police report: May 7, 2015 issue