Hales Corners — A powerful storm that occurred last month left the village with an unusual relic.
A glasslike slag, or mass, was discovered by local fire fighters in the southeast corner of West Edgerton Avenue and South 113th Street, where a large cottonwood tree had snapped during a storm June 15 or 16, causing electrical lines to collapse and then spark on soil, which naturally contains sand and other minerals.
Sand, when under extreme heat from lightning, or electric lines in this instance, can melt from the drastic temperature change and then cool into a glass piece.
The "homemade" glass, as Director of Public Works Michael Martin described it, is not a strong glass because of impurities in the soil, but it is "glass-like nonetheless," he said.
The glass was measured at about 6 inches long, 4 inches wide and 3 inches high.
"The size of half a cantaloupe," Martin said.
Firefighters unearthed the glass-like sample, which was visible from the ground's surface, after responding to the snapped cottonwood tree. Three other trees had reportedly collapsed during the storm and had blocked the road in some way or another.
"This was by far the worst one," Martin said. The cottonwood was 5.5 feet in diameter.
The glass mass was presented to the police and fire commission June 19 and mentioned to the board of trustees June 23.
"It looked like a piece of art," said Village Trustee Mary Bennett at the Monday, June 30, meeting.
Martin said he is now holding on to the sample: "I'm using it as a reminder to everyone that when the wires come down, the best advice is to run away and protect yourself as quickly as you can."
- Sola Salons holding grand opening May 9 in Hales Corners
- Hales Corners police report: May 5, 2016 issue
- Hales Corners police report: April 28, 2016 issue
- Rooftop patio added to proposed expansion of the Bosch
- Pen and ink drawings going on display in May at Boerner Botanical Gardens
- Festival Foods reveals detailed plans for former Kmart site on Highway 100 in Hales Corners (4)
- Greenfield News and Notes: April 21
- Hales Corners police report: April 21, 2016 issue
- Hales Corners Chamber of Commerce holding annual banquet April 28
- Bosch gets ready to make its move (4)