Hales Corners — Debbie Sipola's fourth-grade class at Hales Corners Elementary School didn't know what to write at first to their new pen pals — senior citizens at Care-Age Rehabilitation center in Brookfield.
But after months of correspondence, the class finally met their pen pals and built a relationship that transcends age.
This is not the first time Sipola has integrated pen pals into her teaching curriculum. The experience is cross-curricular, she said, with letters that contain information on many different subjects.
"It was like living history for the children," said Sipola.
With prompts, students learned to ask their pen pals about what school was like for them as a kid, if they have a family and what their job was.
"They gained so much appreciation for the older generation," said Sipola.
Many students were surprised to learn of their pals growing up without modern technology. In letters, seniors wrote about games or toys — Spud, Hula Hoop and Captain, May I, among them — they played as a kid — that the fourth-graders had never heard of.
One senior even wrote: "Please excuse my hand writing. My hand does not work like it used to. I'm 96 years old."
At Care-Age, the students pushed their pen pals in wheelchairs, joined them for rounds of Bingo and shared a pizza lunch. Then they put on a concert with string instruments and sang baseball-themed songs.
"Some of the kids started crying," said Sipola of the musical performance.
After the visit, children thanked their pals and asked promised to keep in touch this summer.
Sipola added: "I really hope some of the kids keep writing."
- Hales Corners police report: May 26, 2016 issue
- Festival Foods proposal advances in Hales Corners with panel's support
- Boerner Botanical Gardens hosting Herb Fair May 28
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Crash closes portion of Highway 100 in Hales Corners May 18
- Jetz Mart car theft attempts in Hales Corners prompt police warning
- Hales Corners temporarily limits boat access to Kelly Lake
- Hales Corners police report: May 19, 2016 issue
- Help clean up Hales Corners May 14
- Know Your Muslim Neighbors event being held at Hales Corners Library May 14