Hales Corners — The number of annual drunken driving arrests have decreased since Hales Corners Police Department joined the Southeast Wisconsin OWI Task Force in 2010, said Sergeant Paul Brantman.
Only 17 drunken driving arrests have been made through April this year, according to data provided by the department. There were 42 arrests made in both 2013 and 2012, 65 in 2011, 82 in 2010 and 72 in 2009.
When asked if the decrease in arrests is a direct causation of the department joining the task force, Brantman said, "Yes. It's working."
Hales Corners is one of 27 state and county law enforcement agencies participating in the task force, which was created in 2005 to reduce drunken driving by enforcement.
Hales Corners officers are deployed twice a month to patrol streets, run license plates and enforce traffic safety. Deployment dates align with holidays such as St. Patrick's Day and Memorial Day weekend and sporting events such as Milwaukee Brewers games and the NCAA Tournament.
There were 15 total OWI arrests by 16 participating agencies April 5 during the Final Four deployment.
West Forest Home Avenue is one of the most active streets for traffic violations because it travels all the way to Milwaukee, said Officer Doug Sayeg.
Sayeg makes up to 30 traffic stops per night — most of which result in seat belt violations or other citations — and runs up to 100 license plates per shift while driving.
"It's kind of like fishing," Sayeg said. "You never know what you're going to get."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Zoo Interchange traffic work update
- New fire department staffing increases Hales Corners tax rate
- Board approves funding of Hales Corners Park Pavilion and Pool repair
- Hales Corners police report: Nov. 27, 2014 issue
- Hales Corners Elementary students receive surprise care package from Army pen pals
- Lawn Poolice 'entre-manure' starts dog waste removal business
- Updated: Hales Corners pool stays afloat in county budget
- Hales Corners police report: Nov. 20, 2014 issue
- Charity maintains 'legend' of former Whitnall student
- Sports bar, grill to replace China Inn in Hales Corners