The Hales Corners fireworks show tonight was abruptly canceled about four minutes after its 9:30 p.m. start after a loud, unexpected bang was followed by emergency sirens, ambulances and police vehicles.
Officials cordoned off the entrance to Hales Corners Park where the program was being held. Ambulances from both Hales Corners and Franklin reported to the scene, which was not easily accessible.
A gurney could be seen heading up the hill toward the launch site.
A short while later, one of the ambulances could be seen getting a police escort out of the area, presumably to an area hospital.
No details of who or how many were hurt in the incident were available though at least one injury was reported.
Police were diverting pedestrian traffic exiting the park away from the main entrance near the launch site.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- With video tour, photos: Whitnall nears $29.4 million facilities referendum
- Wheelchair basketball team heading to Nationals
- Hales Corners police report: March 26, 2015 issue
- Hales Corners police report: March 19, 2015 issue
- Eagle scout candidate improves Hales Corners pool house lockers, benches
- Taxpayer federation to fight against $22 million Whitnall referendum
- Hales Corners police report: March 12, 2015 issue
- Temporary ice rink in Hales Corners will close after this weekend
- Additional sessions on $29.4 million Whitnall school referendum set
- Hales Corners police report: March 5, 2015 issue