Hales Corners - The Committee of the Whole voted Monday to refinance a faltering special tax district on the west side of Highway 100.
The district was established to give the developer of the Hales Corners Shopping Plaza a financial incentive to remodel in 2008. Tax-incremental financing allows debt taken on for a project to be repaid with the additional taxes generated by property after it has been improved.
The plaza projected a $3 million increase in value but due to low real estate prices, hasn't been able to repay the village.
The village has been losing money on the district and hopes to reduce debt payments by an annual $4,000 through refinancing at a lower interest rate. Although payments will be reduced, the village expects to continue to lose money on the district.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Plans for Alyson Dudek ice skating center move forward with donation
- Hales Corners adopts tight 2016 budget of $8.15 million
- Hales Corners police report: Nov. 26, 2015 issue
- Hales Corners Chamber of Commerce to host social on Nov. 24
- Hales Corners police report: Nov. 19, 2015 issue
- Hales Corners 2016 proposed budget sees 'nominal increase'
- Legacy Spa & Salon to host networking event on Nov. 7 in Hales Corners
- Homeless sex offender may be in Hales Corners area
- Hales Corners preschool taking steps toward more technology
- Hales Corners police report: Nov. 12, 2015 issue