Hales Corners - The Committee of the Whole voted Monday to refinance a faltering special tax district on the west side of Highway 100.
The district was established to give the developer of the Hales Corners Shopping Plaza a financial incentive to remodel in 2008. Tax-incremental financing allows debt taken on for a project to be repaid with the additional taxes generated by property after it has been improved.
The plaza projected a $3 million increase in value but due to low real estate prices, hasn't been able to repay the village.
The village has been losing money on the district and hopes to reduce debt payments by an annual $4,000 through refinancing at a lower interest rate. Although payments will be reduced, the village expects to continue to lose money on the district.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- 'Door still open' for Franklin-based firm and vacant Hales Corners Kmart
- Hales Corners Historical Society will have a special program about cemetery tombstones Oct. 7
- Hales Corners police report: Oct. 8, 2015 issue
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Hales Corners will observe trick or treat times on Oct. 31
- Aligned Modern Wellness's One Year Anniversary on Oct. 2
- Modern Woodmen to host happy hour fundraiser on Oct. 1
- Sandra's on the Park puts a modern twist on supper clubs (1)
- Hales Corners police report: Oct. 1, 2015 issue
- Hales Corners Chamber of Commerce Social on Sept. 29