Hales Corners - The Committee of the Whole voted Monday to refinance a faltering special tax district on the west side of Highway 100.
The district was established to give the developer of the Hales Corners Shopping Plaza a financial incentive to remodel in 2008. Tax-incremental financing allows debt taken on for a project to be repaid with the additional taxes generated by property after it has been improved.
The plaza projected a $3 million increase in value but due to low real estate prices, hasn't been able to repay the village.
The village has been losing money on the district and hopes to reduce debt payments by an annual $4,000 through refinancing at a lower interest rate. Although payments will be reduced, the village expects to continue to lose money on the district.
- Hales Corners police report: May 26, 2016 issue
- Festival Foods proposal advances in Hales Corners with panel's support
- Boerner Botanical Gardens hosting Herb Fair May 28
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Crash closes portion of Highway 100 in Hales Corners May 18
- Jetz Mart car theft attempts in Hales Corners prompt police warning
- Hales Corners temporarily limits boat access to Kelly Lake
- Hales Corners police report: May 19, 2016 issue
- Help clean up Hales Corners May 14
- Know Your Muslim Neighbors event being held at Hales Corners Library May 14