Hales Corners - The Committee of the Whole voted Monday to refinance a faltering special tax district on the west side of Highway 100.
The district was established to give the developer of the Hales Corners Shopping Plaza a financial incentive to remodel in 2008. Tax-incremental financing allows debt taken on for a project to be repaid with the additional taxes generated by property after it has been improved.
The plaza projected a $3 million increase in value but due to low real estate prices, hasn't been able to repay the village.
The village has been losing money on the district and hopes to reduce debt payments by an annual $4,000 through refinancing at a lower interest rate. Although payments will be reduced, the village expects to continue to lose money on the district.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hales Corners police report: March 5, 2015 issue
- For what it's worth, antique author offers antique insights in advance of Hales Corners visit
- Hales Corners police report: Feb. 26, 2015, issue
- 'Spite Fences' author to visit Whitnall Middle School students
- Hales Corners police report: Feb. 19, 2015, issue
- Boerner Botanical Gardens to host winter bird arboretum walk
- Sessions offered to public on Whitnall School District referendum questions
- Hales Corners police report: Feb. 12, 2015, issue
- Whitnall School District earns subsidy to pay for global exam
- Hales Corners adopts new radio system that offers 'peace of mind'