Hales Corners - The Committee of the Whole voted Monday to refinance a faltering special tax district on the west side of Highway 100.
The district was established to give the developer of the Hales Corners Shopping Plaza a financial incentive to remodel in 2008. Tax-incremental financing allows debt taken on for a project to be repaid with the additional taxes generated by property after it has been improved.
The plaza projected a $3 million increase in value but due to low real estate prices, hasn't been able to repay the village.
The village has been losing money on the district and hopes to reduce debt payments by an annual $4,000 through refinancing at a lower interest rate. Although payments will be reduced, the village expects to continue to lose money on the district.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Man arrested for facilitating a sex crime with 13-year-old girl in Hales Corners
- New path enhances a walk through Boerner's gardens in Hales Corners
- Hales Corners police report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Village Board requests Hales Corners Wading Pool remains open in 2015
- Ritzman Appliance has found its highway to 'heaven' in Hales Corners
- Hales Corners Police Report: Oct. 16, 2014 issue
- Man charged for facilitating a sex crime with 13-year-old girl in Hales Corners
- Hales Corners wades deeper into county's politics on pool budget (1)
- Hales Corners Police Report: Oct. 9, 2014 issue
- Hales Corners Park pavilion and ice rink gains ground with county approval