Hales Corners - The Committee of the Whole voted Monday to refinance a faltering special tax district on the west side of Highway 100.
The district was established to give the developer of the Hales Corners Shopping Plaza a financial incentive to remodel in 2008. Tax-incremental financing allows debt taken on for a project to be repaid with the additional taxes generated by property after it has been improved.
The plaza projected a $3 million increase in value but due to low real estate prices, hasn't been able to repay the village.
The village has been losing money on the district and hopes to reduce debt payments by an annual $4,000 through refinancing at a lower interest rate. Although payments will be reduced, the village expects to continue to lose money on the district.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hales Corners vies for fruity trees through Victory Garden Initiative
- Hales Corners police report: Feb. 4, 2016 issue
- Video: Bucks' Rim Rockers rock Whitnall HS
- Hales Corners police report: Jan. 28, 2016 issue
- Festival Foods looks to build at old Kmart location along Highway 100 (11)
- Hales Corners raises alcohol license quota a second time (1)
- Hales Corners police report: Jan. 21, 2016 issue
- Hales Corners police report: Jan. 14, 2016 issue
- Village officials hope to change road name in 2016
- Rosecrance opens outpatient clinic in Hales Corners