Greendale - A couple local teachers were recognized by the Herb Kohl Educational Foundation for their work with students during a luncheon Saturday at Greenfield High School.
The Kohl Teacher Fellowship program recognizes and supports teaching excellence and innovation in Wisconsin. Fellowship recipients are chosen for their superior ability to inspire a love of learning in their students, their ability to motivate others, and for their leadership and service within and outside the classroom, according to a new release from the foundation.
College Park Elementary School teacher Colleen Korpal was selected for creating a strong literacy foundation for her students, said Kitty Goyette, communications director for the district.
"Children in her class develop an appreciation of multiple types of literature. She creates excitement for reading through engaging read-alouds, conversations and book talks," Goyette said.
Korpal also won the Charlie Hermann Educator of the Year Award from the Greendale Chamber of Commerce this year.
Greendale High School teacher Dan Rogaczewski won the award for working with the school's Alternative Curricular Concepts for Educational Support and Success, an in-house program that serves about 80 at-risk students per year.
Rogaczewski redesigned ACCESS to work with students who need extra assistance in order to have a successful educational experience and to be appropriately prepared to satisfy graduation requirements.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hales Corners police report: Sept. 3, 2015 issue
- Hales Corners police report: Aug. 27, 2015 issue
- Hales Corners bed-and-breakfast gets back on its feet with new owners
- Hales Corners police report: Aug. 20, 2015 issue
- July 28 spill is being called one of the largest in Hales Corner history
- Hales Corners police report: Aug. 13, 2015 issue
- Hales Corners police report: Aug. 6, 2015 issue
- Hales Corners residents could feel heavier tax burden
- Development talks come to a halt in Hales Corners
- Groundbreaking for ice skating facility at Hales Corners Park