·Shannon Henry of Franklin earned her bachelor's degree in supply chain management in May from the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, where she also earned the Chancellor's Award for Excellence for her leadership roles, including being president of the American Production and Inventory Control Society, president of Phi Beta Lambda, vice president of Wisconsin Phi Beta Lambda, and a College of Business ambassador. Her emphasis in international management led her to study abroad in Italy, Peru and Ireland. She will be taking a job as a logistics-planning analyst for Caterpillar in Peoria, Ill., after she returns from a month-long trip to Europe.
·Brooke Porter of Franklin and Alison Karwacki of Oak Creek earned their bachelor's degrees, in environmental sciences and in human biology, from the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay in May.
·Kathleen Turner of Franklin earned her bachelor's degree in philosophy from Alverno College in Milwaukee in May.
·Katelyn Maike of Franklin, a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, earned the Division of University Housing's ROSE (Recognition of Outstanding Student Employee) Award in April.
· The following students made the spring semester dean's list at St. Norbert College in De Pere: from Franklin, Emilee Cichacki, Sarah Kopp and Caitlyn Meyers; and from Oak Creek, Evan Johnson.
·Ashley Kopydlowski of Oak Creek earned a $500 scholarship in a national competition with other student members of the fraternal society Modern Woodmen of America.
·Moses Misplon of Franklin, a home-schooled student, earned a $2,500 National Merit Scholarship award based on his scores on the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test, taken in October, 2011.
·Tre Nowaczynski of Hales Corners, a senior at West Allis Central High School, is Wisconsin's nominee for the ACT College and Career Readiness Campaign, a new national awards program that recognizes college and career readiness. Nowaczynski has maintained a 3.83 (4.13 weighted) grade-point average while taking a majority of Advanced Placement and honors classes. On the athletic field, Nowaczynski has been voted team captain multiple times and has won numerous awards. Nowaczynski has been involved in the school's music program and clubs. He served as class president, a member of the National Honor Society, a peer mentor and a student representative to the School Board. He is an avid volunteer, helping collect food for local pantries and serving as a shopping partner for under-privileged youth. His future plans include majoring in psychology at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minn.
·Susan Mihalyi of Franklin is one of 11 recipients of the Finland U.S. Senate Youth Exchange Scholarship administered through Youth For Understanding and funded by the government of Finland. The national scholarship gives a select group of students the opportunity to study in Finland for the summer. Mihalyi departed for Helsinki on June 7 after spending two days in Washington, D.C., where she attended a reception with the Finnish ambassador and spent time with Wisconsin senators.
·Maggie Roemer and Sydney Kirkegaard of Franklin High School have been named 2013 winners of the Steve F. Taylor Future Leaders of Franklin Scholarship, based on their essays and interviews about public service. Maggie, a junior, and Sydney, a senior, will each receive $300 scholarships.
· Franklin High School senior Cathrina Kok was awarded a scholarship by Ronald McDonald House Charities, recognizing academic excellence and community involvement.
· Army Pfc. Jessica L. Garcia has graduated from basic combat training at Fort Jackson in Columbia, S.C. Garcia is a 2010 graduate of Greendale High School.
· Army Pvt. Joshua R. Walz has graduated from One Station Unit Training at Fort Leonard Wood in Waynesville, Mo., which included basic military training and advanced individual training in military police procedures. Walz is a military police officer assigned to Charlie Company 787th Military Police Battalion, Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. The son of Holly and Kevin Walz of South Milwaukee, he is a 2009 graduate of Oak Creek High School.
· Air Force Airman Francesca Jackson graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland in San Antonio, Texas. Jackson, the daughter of Tamara and Paul Gayle of Oak Creek, is a 2012 graduate of Oak Creek High School.
· Air National Guard Airman Megan M. Wey graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland in San Antonio, Texas. Wey, the daughter of Tamera Wey of Oak Creek, is a 2012 graduate of Oak Creek High School.
· Air Force Reserve 2nd Lt. Aaron T. Bonilla has been commissioned as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force through the ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Corps) program. Bonilla is a developmental engineer assigned to the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps Detachment 765 at The Citadel in Charleston, S.C. The son of Edwin and Debra Bonilla of Franklin, he is a 2008 graduate of Franklin High School.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Celebrations: June 5, 2014
- Celebrations: April 24
- Celebrations: April 8
- Celebrations: March 17
- Celebrations: March 13
- Celebrations: March 6
- Celebrations: Feb. 20
- Celebrations: Jan. 30
- Celebrations: Jan. 23
- Celebrations: Jan. 16
- Celebrations: Jan. 2
- Celebrations: Dec. 26
- Celebrations: Dec. 5
- Celebrations: Nov. 28
- Celebrations: Nov. 21
- Celebrations: Oct. 31
- Celebrations: Oct. 24
- Celebrations: Oct. 17
- Celebrations: Sept. 24
- Celebrations: Sept. 17