Open your windows, the warm weather has arrived! Wait a minute…look at all that dust and dirt that’s built up over the winter. Yuck! It’s time to wash windows and clean dust bunnies out from under the bed. But did you know that many cleaning supplies may trigger breathing problems for kids (and adults) with asthma?
Below are a few tips to keep your kids safe while you’re cleaning your home:
• Use a damp cloth or a microfiber cloth for dusting.
• Use a vacuum cleaner that has a high-efficiency air filter, which is better at removing dust particles.
• When possible, choose simple, natural, fragrance-free cleaning products, like plain soap, water or vinegar.
• Never mix cleaning products, especially ammonia and bleach.
• Clean mini-blinds thoroughly or replace them with washable curtains.
• Keep your home well ventilated. Open the windows if temperatures allow.
• Have your air conditioner serviced every year.
• Keep your child out of the room you’re cleaning
If you’re concerned about your child’s asthma, make an appointment at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Clinics-New Berlin, call Central Scheduling at (414) 607-5280 or request an appointment online.
Click here to subscribe to the New Berlin clinic blog.